City of Ambrose

Ambrose is a small incorporated community located approximately  three miles south of the Canadian border on North Dakota Highway 43. Ambrose was founded in 1906 and was named after a local railway worker. In November 1912, Ambrose lost to the City of Crosby 910-749 in a tightly contested election to become the permanent county seat of the new Divide County created in 1910.  Ambrose's population peaked in 1920 when the census showed a 389 residents. The 2010 Census reported that there were 26 people living in Ambrose. Ambrose School built in 1912

The Ambrose School District began with a sod school house three miles west of town in 1906. With growth typical of the early 20th century, Ambrose built a town school in 1908, quickly outgrew it, and built a new two-story brick schoolhouse in 1912 at a cost of $16,000 which housed both the elementary and high schools. It had three classrooms, a study hall, and a basement playroom. A library was established at the end of one hallway. As enrollment grew, the school turned part of the basement into a classroom. In 1922, donating labor, equipment, and supplies, the people of Ambrose built an underground gymnasium to support their basketball team.  After a county-wide election to consolidate school districts in 1962, the Ambrose high school closed and students enrolled in Crosby High School.

Ambrose City Government
Mayor - Tabitha Jozwiak (701) 982-3261 or cell (701) 339-0059
Auditor - Tamara Sem (701) 982-3266
Alderman - Travis Ness
Alderman - Jon Meyers (701) 982-3300
Alderman - Paul McPhail (701) 982-3312


City of Ambrose
PO Box 174
Ambrose, ND  58833


The Ambrose Council Meetings are held at Ambrose City Hall during the following times:

January 4th - 11:00 am
February 1st - 11:00 am
March 1st - 11:00 am
April 5th - 11:00 am






Divide County, ND | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2021 Intrado Corporation.